HOMEEnglish Page >Intensive Course

Intensive Course

We are afraid that although the closing date is November 30th, we have stopped accepting applications because there is no more space available.
If you have already prepared application materials, please contact us immediately. Thank you.


in class

This is a full-time course, which meets 20 hours per week and is intended for those wishing to study Japanese intensively. Classes emphasize spoken communication through a small student-teacher ratio, with a well-balanced curriculum revolving around four core skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Effective class work concentrates on each student’s own goals and individual needs.

Admission Requirements

・ Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must have completed at least 12 years of education (the equivalent of Japanese primary and secondary education) abroad.


・ Applicants must have qualifications equal to the above as determined by this school.


Enrollment Period

Two years/one-and-a-half years (a 6-month term also possible)


* The two year course begins in April and ends in March two years later. The one-and-a-half year course begins in October and ends in March two years later.

Start of Classes

April and October (2 terms per year)

School Term

First term  April 1 - September 30

Second term  October 1 - March 31


First term

April 4 (Tuesday)  Entrance ceremony / Orientation

April 5 (Wednesday))  Classes begin

July 5 - August 15  Summer vacation

August 16 (Wednesday))  Classes resume

September 26 (Tuesday))  Classes end

September 26 (Tuesday))  Closing ceremony

Second term

October 12 (Tuesday))  Entrance ceremony / Orientation

October 13 (Friday)  Classes begin

December 22 - January 9  Winter vacation

(2018) January 10 (Wednesday))  Classes resume

(2018) March 13 (Tuesday))  Classes end

(2018) March 14 (Wednesday))  Closing ceremony

Class Days

Monday - Friday (5 days per week), 20 lessons per week

Class Hours

(a) 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

(b) 1:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.

* Assignment to the (a) or (b) session will be determined by the school.

 Class duration varies by course.

Class Size

Beginner & Advanced: Up to 13 students

Intermediate: Up to 18 students

Screening Method

Application materials and interview

Class Placement

Placement test and interview



Screening, Registration and Tuition Fees

Screening fee

¥31,300 (¥31,900 including tax at a rate of 10%)

Registration fee

¥51,800 (¥52,800 including tax at a rate of 10%)

Tuition fee

¥312,100 (¥317,900 including tax at a rate of 10%)

Educational enhancement fee

¥10,800 (¥11,000 including tax at a rate of 10%)

Insurance fee


・The "educational enhancement fee" is for school excursions, welfare, and facilities.

・The “insurance fee” is an accident compensation insurance for Japanese Language Schools by Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd. Only students whose visa status is "Student visa" qualified to apply for this type of insurance.

・Students taking the “Art and Culture Study Class” or the “Business Class” must pay ¥5,400 per term for the class activity fee.

・Fees for textbooks and course materials cost extra (approximately ¥7,000 per term).

・Once you have paid the registration and tuition fees and have completed the necessary enrollment procedures, fees can only be refunded if your visa is declined.

・The screening fee is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of screenings by our school and by the Immigration Office.



Application Period

First Term 2017

Outside Japan

October 1 - November 30, 2016

Within Japan

December 1, 2016 - March 15, 2017

Admission Notice: The result of the screening conducted by the school will be reported approximately two weeks after the application materials are recieved. 

Instruction begins: April 5, 2017


Second Term 2017

Outside Japan

April 3 - May 31, 2017

Within Japan

June 1 - September 22, 2017

Admission Notice: The result of screening by the school will be reported approximately two weeks after the application materials are recieved. 

Start of instruction: October 13, 2017


・Immigration regulations do not permit the changing of a visa status from “Temporary Visitor” to “Student.” Even if you already reside in Japan, those with “Temporary Visitor” status must apply by following the procedure for overseas applicants.

・Once the class reaches its quota, further applicants will not be accepted.


Office Hours

・The school’s office is open Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and the vacation periods indicated below:


Summer holiday: August 8, 2017 – August 15, 2017

Winter holiday: December 28, 2017– January 8, 2018




Application and Enrollment Procedure

1) Either the applicant him/herself or the applicant’s guarantor must send or visit our school and submit all the necessary documents required for the application along with the screening fee.

Applications will not be accepted unless all necessary documents are included.

* If you send your application documents by post, our school will inform you about how to pay the screening fee after your materials have been received.

* The applicant’s guarantor must show his/her identification (driver's license, passport, resident card, etc.) when submitting application documents to the school.


2) The school examines the submitted documents and conducts an interview with the guarantor. The screening process will be completed approximately two weeks after all the materials have been submitted. For successful applicants, the school will apply to the Kyoto branch of the Osaka Immigration Office for a “Certificate of Eligibility,” which qualifies the applicant for a visa. Please note that the screening by immigration officials takes about 3 months.


3) After the screening by immigration officials, the Certificate of Eligibility will be granted to the applicant (if he/she was not declined) and the results will be reported to the school. At this time, the applicant must transfer registration and tuition fees by the appointed date. After making this payment, the applicant will receive the Certificate of Eligibility.


4) Overseas applicants should hand in this certificate, together with a valid passport, to the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their country and file a “Student” visa application. Please be aware that the Certificate of Eligibility is only valid for three months after the date of issue, and it ceases to be valid if you do not enter Japan within the three-month period.


5) New students should come to Japan approximately 10 days prior to the beginning of a term. Students should also notify the school of their expected date of arrival after it has been determined. Upon arrival to Japan, they should notify the school immediately, and on the appointed day come to the school with their passport in order to take the placement test.


6) New students must attend orientation sessions. Topics covered will include important rules and regulations, as well as various administrative details.

* About visas and residence status:

The “visa” is actually a “recommendation for landing/entering the country,” rather than “permission to land/enter the country.” This is because a “recommendation for entering the country” is only a document that acknowledges that a person who has been granted a visa meets the criteria pertaining to entering and residing in Japan that are required for the visa itself. Once you have received your visa, your “residence status” and “period of stay” will be determined at the time you enter Japan. The residence status for those people seeking to study Japanese is “Student.” The period of stay is six months, one year, or one year and three months. You may apply for an extension of this period of stay every six months, every one year, or every one year and three months. The maximum period of time you may study at a Japanese language school with “Student” status is two years. (The two-year course only begins in April at our school.)

Applications from Japan


For those residing in Japan who do not need to change their residence status to “Student” (e.g.,  those whose status is “Permanent Resident,” “Spouse or Child of Japanese National,” “Professor,” or “Religious Activities”), or those residing in Japan whose status is “Designated Activities (e.g., Working Holiday),” please follow the steps below.

1) The applicant must come to the school together with his/her guarantor in order to submit the following materials. We will conduct an interview and a confirmation upon the presentation of these documents (in some cases additional documents may be requested):


Documents concerning the applicant

 Enrollment application

 Statement of purpose for studying Japanese (either in Japanese or English)

 Passport (please copy all pages that have entries in them)

 A copy of resident card

 ID Photographs (4 cm x 3 cm) 2 copies


Documents concerning the guarantor

 Letter of Guarantee (addressed to the principal of our school)


2) The screening process will be completed within one week of acceptance of the documents.

Successful applicants must pay the registration fee and tuition by the appointed date after they receive the admission notice.


3) New students must take the placement test on the appointed date.


4) New students must attend orientation sessions. Topics covered will include important rules and regulations, as well as various administrative details.







1. Enrollment application

・Please write your full name in last name, first name order. Applicants from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea should print their names in kanji. Applicants from Hong Kong with British citizenship should provide both the kanji and English forms of their names.


・Please indicate place of birth, including village/town/city (e.g., Madison, Wisconsin).


・Please give your specific occupation (e.g., company clerk, university lecturer).


・Please indicate where you plan to live in Japan. If undecided, write “undecided” or provide your guarantor’s address.


・Please indicate location of the Japanese Embassy where you plan to apply for your visa (e.g., Hong Kong).


・Please be aware that once you have determined your period of study and your plans after studying Japanese, it is impossible to change your application. Therefore please think carefully about your plans before filling out the application form.


・Please provide your complete educational background and employment information, beginning with your entrance to elementary school and ending with your latest place of work. Do not leave any blanks. Please ensure that the names of schools and companies as well as dates of entry and graduation (start and finish of work) are entered correctly by referring to official school documents or certificates from the company.


・Please omit any part-time jobs held while in school.


・Please fill out previous studies of Japanese and texts used in detail.


・If you have been to Japan before, please provide the relevant information as it appears in your passport.


・If your guarantor (see page 9) will be paying your expenses, please indicate the guarantor’s correct name, address, and employer and so forth in the “Sponsor” section. This part should also be filled out by the applicant in person.


・Applicants must fill out their own application forms.


・Please indicate the occupation, title, company name and work address of your guarantor and sponsor. Also, please indicate the telephone number and the fax number correctly without abbrevitating.


・Please seal the application and sign it in the same way that your signature appears in your passport.


2. Official certificate of graduation from school most recently attended (original)

・This is a document certifying that you have already completed a 12-year course of study abroad (the equivalent of graduationg from a Japanese high school/secondary school).


・For those applicants who are currently enrolled in college or a similar higher educational institution (junior college, etc.), please also provide an enrollment certificate from the appropriate educational institution together with your high school diploma.


3. Official transcript from school most recently attended (original)

・Please provide a document listing grades from all of the years you attended. Those currently enrolled in college or a similar higher educational institution (junior college, etc.) should also provide a transcript of grades up to the present year, in addition to a high school transcript.


4. Statement of purpose for studying Japanese and statement of plans after studying Japanese

・This is a document explaining in detail your need for Japanese study. Please clearly indicate previous study or employment that can be tied to your proposed study in Japan. Please also indicate any previous study of Japanese.


・Please clearly state whether you plan to continue your studies at a Japanese institution of higher education or will return home after studying Japanese. If you intend to continue your studies, please indicate the names of the schools and faculties, area of specialization, and state whether that specialization requires that you study in Japan.


・In addition to completing these forms in your native language, please furnish Japanese translations of all documents that you submit.


5. Certificate of Japanese ability

・Those applicants who have taken a Japanese Language Proficiency Test sponsored by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES) and the Japan Foundation must send in a copy of their Certificate of Japanese Proficiency along with their test results.


・Those applicants who have not taken any Japanese Language Test should submit a certificate of Japanese ability issued by the last Japanese Language School attended. This document should state in detail the length of study, total number of lessons, and texts used.



6. Certificate of current employment (or letter of release)

・If you have been employed, please forward a job description indicating the duration and the starting date of this employment. Your work address, telephone number, and fax number must be clearly shown in the certificate.


7. Your photograph (4 cm x 3 cm): 5 copies

・Please submit color photographs taken within three months prior to the application.


・Please write your full name and citizenship on the reverse side.


・Retouched photographs are not accepted.


8. Copy of passport

・Please furnish a copy of all pages that have entries in them.


9. Health certificate

・This may be in either English or Japanese.


10. Other necessary documents

・Although the basic documents required are those listed above, in some cases additional documents may be requested.


・For example, if there are parts of your education that differ from the standard educational system in your home country, such as skipping years or entering elementary school at a higher or lower age than usual, documents explaining these discrepancies may be required from the respective educational institutions.



・Please provide Japanese translations of all documents written in other languages. Translations should include the name, workplace, address of workplace, and family seal (hanko) or signature of the translator


・Please use the forms available from our school for documents 1, 4, 5, and 9 above.


・Documents 1 and 4 above should be filled out (handwritten) by the applicant him/herself and signed.


・As a general rule, certificates must be sent within three months of the date of your application.







1. Letter of agreement regarding payment

・Explain fully the reason for acting as the applicant’s sponsor.


・The sponsor should guarantee the payment of your tuition as well as any other living expenses you incur during your stay in Japan. This should also state how these funds will be transferred to you. (We may need to confirm these transfers. This information is also necessary should you decide to apply for an extension of period of stay).


・Letter should be filled out (handwritten) by the sponsor with the sponsor’s seal (hanko) or signature


* Please refer to item 4 on page 10entitled, “Extension of period of stay,” which is part of the section on “Student Life.”


*Since “payment of expenses” means support for the applicant from the time he/she begins Japanese study through graduation from our school, and includes assistance in the form of payment of educational and living expenses, you should consider the selection of your sponsor carefully. It could be problematic if this person is not a relative or someone you know fairly well. This is why it is necessary to furnish specific, concrete details of your agreement with the sponsor if he/she is not a relative of yours.


2. Certificate of employment (any one of the following is acceptable)

 a) Certificate of current employment

 b) Certified copy of company registry (if sponsor is a director of a company)

 c) Copy of business permit

 d) Copy of tax return notarized by the tax office (including title of the business and name of the proprietor) and Certificate of business transaction


* Company employees should provide a certificate of current employment; company representatives and officers should provide a certified copy of the company registry; and those who are self-employed should provide a copy of the company’s business permit. In cases in which it is not possible to furnish a copy of the business permit, please provide a copy of a tax return and a copy of a certificate of a business transaction, etc.


* Please clearly write the sponsor’s work address, telephone number, and fax number in the certificate of employment.


3. Document certifying annual income

・This may be either a certificate of income issued by an official organization or a certificate of payment of declared tax to municipal authorities, which shows annual income, etc.


4. Certificate of bank account balance

・This must be limited to funds held exclusively in the name of the sponsor.


5. Document explaining the relationship of the sponsor to the applicant

・If the sponsor is a relative of the applicant, please provide a copy of the family register or certificate of citizen registration (“jumin toroku shomeisho”), birth certificate, or other document verifying the sponsor’s relationship to the applicant.


・If the sponsor is not a relative, please provide a document specifying concretely and in detail the relation of the applicant and the sponsor. Do not hesitate to ask questions concerning the necessary documents.


6. Other documents

・Although the basic documents required are those listed above, additional documents such as Certificate of Citizen Registration (jumin-hyo) may be requested if the sponsor is a resident of Japan.



・Please provide Japanese translations of all documents written in other languages. Translation should include the name, affiliation, address, and family seal (hanko) or signature of the translator.


・Please use the form available from the school for document 1.


・If you, the applicant, are going to assume responsibility of payment of tuition etc., you need only provide the documents listed in items 2, 3, and 4 above.


・Certificates must be sent within three months of the date of your application.







1. Letter of guarantee (addressed to the Principal of our school)

・Please sign or put the guarantor’s seal.

* A guarantor is always required even if the applicant pays tuition and living expenses by him/herself.


2. Other documents

・Basic documents have been listed above. However, in some cases, additional documents (e.g., family seal authentication certificate) may be requested.


Qualifications and responsibilities of the guarantor are listed below.


Qualifications of the Guarantor

・If possible, the guarantor should be a parent of the applicant.


・If you ask a non-parent relative or other person you know well to be your guarantor, he/she must be a resident of Kyoto or the immediate suburbs who has a stable occupation state and is capable of earning sufficient income. If the guarantor is a foreigner, he/she must also have sufficient Japanese language ability.


Responsibilities and Roles of the Guarantor

・The guarantor shall supervise the student and ensure that he/she abides by the laws and regulations of Japan and the rules set forth by this school. The guarantor shall also ensure that the student does not to engage in activities other than those authorized by Immigration regulations while in Japan.


・The guarantor shall ensure that the student will devote adequate time to his/her study of Japanese. He/she shall have responsibility in all financial and social matters including accommodations.





(1) Attendance

Students enrolled in the Intensive Course must attend classes every day. If a student must miss a class due to illness or some other unavoidable reason, he/she must notify the school in advance. If absences exceed 10% of the total number of class hours, the student’s application for visa extension may not be approved, or the term of the visa may be shortened.


(2) Advancement to a higher level class

A student’s class level depends upon the results of his/her interview and placement test. Advancement to a higher level class at the end of the term will depend upon the overall result of periodic tests, class behavior, and class attendance records. Permission for advancement or for continuation in any given term may be withheld if the student’s class attendance, behavior, or grades are considered to be very low or questionable, or if the student violates any of the rules of the school or the Immigration Office.


(3) Resident card

A resident card will be issued at port of entry to all foreign nationals who will be residing in Japan for the mid- to long-term range with a residency status such as "College Student," "Specialist in Humanities/International Services," "Spouse or Child of Japanese National," "Long Term Resident," or "Designated Activities." Those who have received a resident card are asked to visit and give notice to the municipal office where they live, with their resident card, designated form, and passport within 14 days of finding a place of residence. Please carry your resident card with you at all times in Japan.


(4) Extension of period of stay

A student may renew his/her residence status (“Student”) every six months, one year, or one year and three months by presenting the “Application for Extension of Period of Stay” together with the student’s own Enrollment Certificate, Grade Certificate, and National Health Insurance Certificate, and Certificate of Employment (for part time employees) to the Immigration Office. For each renewal, the student must certify that the anticipated expenses for studying in Japan (stated in the “Letter of Agreement Regarding Payment” completed by the sponsor upon entering Japan) have been met in one of the following ways:


Case 1: Expenses sent by a sponsor in your country (abroad)

・Applicant’s bank passbook showing that funds have been wired from the sponsor, or a certificate showing that funds have been sent from the sponsor (e.g., notification of remittance).


Case 2: Expenses sent by the sponsor within Japan

・Applicant’s bank passbook showing that funds have been wired from the sponsor


Case 3: Expenses paid by the applicant

・Certificate of grant/school scholarshipauthorization or certificate of bank account balance of the applicant


(5) Part-time work (“Engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted”)

Students cannot work under the "Student" status of residence. Those students wishing to obtain a part-time job must first apply for and obtain special permission to do so from the Immigration Office. Students who are granted such permission will only be allowed to work up to a total of 28 hours or less per week. Please be aware that the kinds of work that you are allowed to do are limited and difficult for foreign students to find, and some work such as those requiring working at midnight or in an entertainment facility (e.g., game centers) are not permitted.


(6) Advancement to higher education

Our school conducts periodic group information sessions throughout the year as well as consulting on an individual basis for those students who wish to continue their studies at a Japanese university, graduate school, or the like.

* In order to enter a Japanese university or other institution of higher education, you must have completed a program of 12 years of formal education. Depending upon the country, there are some cases in which a program of 11 years of formal education is the equivalent of Japanese secondary education; however, such programs do not meet Japanese higher education admissions standards. It is necessary for students who intend to enter a Japanese university to take the "Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students" (EJU). This test examines "Japanese language ability" and "basic learning ability." The contents of the subjects are "Japanese," "science," "general knowledge," and "mathematics." "Japanese language" consists of  "giving descriptions," "reading," "listening," and "listening-reading comprehension." This test is held two times a year, in June and November.


Currently, Japanese universities expect students to take the “Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Studens" (EJU) Japanese language ability examination. Students who apply to a public or national university will not only need to take the Japanese language ability examination, but may also need to take any or all of the school's other examinations, depending on the requirements of the schools to which they applied. Our school provides guidance and practice tests for students who request it.


(Japanese universities attended by KJLS graduates in the last five years)

Graduate Schools

Kyoto Institute of Technology, Kyoto Pharmaceutical Univ., Ritsumeikan Univ., Doshisha Univ.


Undergraduate Schools

Kyoto Institute of Technology, Shiga Univ., Osaka Univ., The University of Shiga Prefecture,

Kyoto Seika Univ., Doshisha Univ., Ritsumeikan Univ., Ryukoku Univ., Kyoto Univ. of Art and Design, Heian Jogakuin (St.Agnes') Univ., Kyoto Sangyo Univ., Kwansei Gakuin Univ., Kansai Univ., Tohoku Institute of Technology, Osaka Institute of Technology, Musashino Art Univ., Kyoto Institute of Design


(7) Lodging

Our school has 1 dormitory, 2 apartments, and 1 "Gakusei Kaikan" (Dormitory for International Students) under contract. Living expenses for students residing in Kyoto are at least 110,000 yen per month, so students should give sufficient consideration to these expenses before coming to Japan.


*In Japan, there is a custom of Shikikin (deposit) and Reikin (key money) for renting a room. In general, you must pay a deposit and key money equivalent to three-month's rent in addition to the first month’s rent.


(8) Health care

Our school conducts a health check for all students after admission. We also advise students about enrollment in the National Health Insurance plan. Those who expect to stay in Japan for one year or more must enroll in the National Health Insurance plan. Medical expenses are extremely high in Japan. Students should be aware that even if they will be staying in Japan for less than one year, they need health insurance. Students may enroll in an insurance plan in their home country that will provide coverage during their stay in Japan.

Our school is enrolled in an “Accident compensation insurance system for Japanese Language Schools” policy. If you have national health insurance in Japan, this policy covers the remaining 30% of the cost of medical care that students are normally supposed to pay. It also covers liability damages (up to 30 million yen), excluding car and motorbike accidents. In addition, in case that you are admitted to a hospital, this policy covers the cost of medical care and the travel expenses for your family if and when they visit you in Japan (up to 3 million yen).